One of my dear friends Heather and I try to make it to the pumpkin patch every year. She has two adorable kiddos so its always a fun time! They have really expanded the Pumpkin Town this year so it included giant inflatables, pony rides, corn maze, and many more festive games for kiddos.
 |
| Houston liked the horses more from this view than on them |
 |
| Karter bug! |
 |
| Wild child loved the slides! |
 |
| Yes, the two year old took this picture. Pretty impressive! |
 |
| what a difference a year makes for this little punkin! |
Being at the pumpkin patch inspired me to bake something for fall so I decided to attempt a recipe found in my October issue of Southern Living for chocolate caramel cookies.
Chocolate Crinkle Candy Surprise Cookies
Ingredients
- 1/2 cup plus 2 Tbsp. butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon table salt
- Parchment paper
- 30 chocolate-covered caramel candy (such as Rolo)
- Powdered sugar
Preparation
- Beat granulated sugar, butter, eggs, and vanilla at medium speed with an electric mixer until mixture is blended and smooth. Stir together flour, cocoa, baking powder, and salt. Gradually add to butter mixture, beating just until blended. Shape dough into a ball, and wrap in plastic wrap. Chill 2 to 4 hours. Preheat oven to 350°. Remove dough from plastic wrap; shape dough into 30 (1-inch) balls (about 1 Tbsp. each), and place 1 inch apart on parchment paper-lined baking sheets. Flatten each ball into a 2-inch disk. Place 1 chocolate-covered caramel candy into center of each disk, and wrap dough around candy to form a ball. Bake 10 minutes or until slightly flattened. Cool on baking sheets 8 minutes. Sprinkle cookies with powdered sugar. Serve cookies immediately.

Par for the course, I edited this recipe a bit to use what I had on hand since I decided to start this recipe at 9:00 pm. And no, I didn't refrigerate the dough for 2 hours, and it worked fine.
I didn't have rolos so I used melting caramels which worked out fine for serving them hot, but after that, the caramel became hard again. Also, I decided to try sea salt on the top instead of powdered sugar. It is a different flavor which makes these cookies less sweet and therefore less desirable to those wanting super sweet desserts. My husband actually liked that these cookies were not super sweet since he doesn't eat very much dessert in general.
 |
| kind of resembles a nest.. |
 |
| Every thing you bake, I'll be watching you |
what fun pictures!
ReplyDelete