I started with a dress that my mother in law found for me, but it didn't fit. I tried to see if it would fit Scarlett or my sister in law Lindsey, but it was a no go. So I decided to take that cute little hog right off that dress and put it on some leggings. AR leggings are only available online here, and I didn't want to pay $40 for them!
**Truth be told, I probably did pay close to $40 for them, but I did get a ginormous roll of the heat adhesive to make appliques! And I'll use it again once I saw how easy appliqueing was :)
Step1- Cut a square of the fabric out and apply the heat and bond lite to it. Be sure that the fabric is bigger than the heat and bond or you might end up with heat and bond stuck to your ironing board like I did. Then cut your applique out of the fabric.
![]() |
| see how the heat and bond is bigger than my fabric swatch? bad idea right there! |
Step 3: Adjust your sewing machine to make a close zigzag pattern. I practiced on some throw away fabric to get the stitching just right. Then place the pedal foot right on the line of the fabric so the stitches will overlap just right on your applique. Try to keep the pedal foot on that line while sewing. Obviously, my stitches aren't perfect as this is my first attempt and that hog's tail was tough to sew around :)
![]() |
| don't look at my stitches too carefully please :) |
![]() |
| Just where I wanted the applique! |
I will definitely be appliqueing more things in the future! Christmas presents this year may be appliqued hand towels for all :)




So cute! Ha, love the disclaimer, so true!!!
ReplyDelete