Thursday, August 30, 2012

Death by Chocolate Brownie Cake

I am the designated dessert maker for people's birthdays at my work.  I really enjoy this role, because it allows me to express my creativity in baking by exploring new recipes that I would never just make for myself and my husband.  Our founder's wife turned 70 this week and to celebrate she requested something chocolate.  I found this recipe on pinterest and it sounded perfect for the occasion.  (original recipe here)  It was simple enough to make but does take time to bake the cake first and wait for it to cool before baking the brownie layer in the same pan.

Ingredients:

-Devil's Food chocolate cake mix
-Brownie mix
-2 cans of chocolate frosting (I chose fudge)
-5 eggs for the mixes
- Vegetable oil
-12 oz package of semi-sweet chocolate chips

Directions:

  1. Mix the cake mix and bake as directed for two 8 inch greased round pans.  Let cool 10 minutes in pan before transferring to wire rack to cool completely.
  2. Mix the brownie mix and pour in one 8 inch greased round pan.  Bake as directed.  Cool in pan for 15 minutes before attempting to remove.  It is best to try to loosen the brownie with a spatuala underneath the layer before dumping it out of the pan.  (Unfortunately mine fell completely apart but it was still hot and I pieced it back together)
  3. Place one of the 8 inch round cakes on a platter and ice it completely.  Then sprinkle that layer with chocolate chips. 
  4. Next place the brownie layer on that layer and repeat the icing and chocolate chip step.
  5. Lastly, place the second cake layer on top of the iced brownie layer and completely ice the cake.  Sprinkle chocolate chips all over the top and on the sides.  I had trouble getting the side chocolate chips to stay on the brownie layer so just let some fall off around the edges.
my crumbly brownie layer

the brownie layer was slightly larger due to the crumbling
but anything can be covered with enough frosting

Death by Chocolate Brownie Cake
**Warning- this cake is VERY rich so cut your slices small especially if you are serving it with ice cream.  Also, it might induce a chocolate coma.**

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading! Feel free to leave me a note :)