Last week Brian and I went on a cruise with our dear friends Lindsay & Ricky. They are expecting their first child this year and after all of the times we have talked about going on a cruise together, we decided it was now or
never after their kiddo is old enough to join us on a cruise.
It was my second cruise but Brian's first time on the open seas. I was concerned that he might be seasick so I packed a full out med kit just in case. I'm talking dramamine, tums, nauzene, aleve, vitamin c packets, and your other basics (bandaids, neo to go, eye drops, etc). Turns out he was not the one that ended up sick..
We flew into Houston and made the drive to Galveston to be on the boat by noon. Everything went so smoothly from the airport to loading to the boat and we were so thankful for that. The first day we just ate (no surprise) and relaxed on the boat. We had dinner in the dining room and watched our first show.
.jpg) |
| We're here!! |
.jpg) |
| the only time this pool wasn't surrounded by people |
.jpg) |
| The expecting couple |
.jpg) |
| Happy happy happy |
.jpg) |
| Our first meal in the dining room |
.jpg) |
| too many desserts to choose just one |
Day 2 was at sea so we mostly lounged around, played mini golf, and took in some vitamin D. I did manage to get myself to the gym a couple days.. Brian was much more disciplined with working out than I was on the cruise. Day at sea = formal night aka don't be wearing shorts to dinner :)
.jpg) |
| Rick must have won this round? |
.jpg) |
| Brian's seafood |
.jpg) |
| 3 desserts was the norm.. Our waiter would just prompt me to order more than necessary :) |
.jpg) |
| Handsome men |
.jpg) |
| Clearly the boys were better at this pose than Linds and I :) |
.jpg) |
| Just enjoying the Captain's cocktail hour.. notice the tons of glasses of champagne behind us |
.jpg) |
| Ready for the show! |
.jpg) |
| Posing with the towel animal.. not sure what it was supposed to be |
Day 3 was Cozumel, MX.. Don't I wish it was El Cerrito Place with Kenny but alas.. I can pretend though! We decided to do an excursion in Cozumel since the shopping is better in Grand Caymen. We went on a glass bottom boat tour which was pretty cool since it was like snorkling without getting wet :) I am sort of like a cat when it comes to water so this was a great option for the cat and the pregnant woman in our group. After a stop to get large quantities of vanilla, it was back to the boat for dinner.
.jpg) |
| waiting to board the glass bottom boat |
.jpg) |
| Prepare yourself for a lot of fish pictures |
.jpg) |
| this guy was blowing us kisses |
.jpg) |
| Parrot fish |
.jpg) |
| 3 desserts was the norm for me |
 |
| Room service anyone?? |
On to Grand Cayman! We didn't get to dock at Grand Cayman so we had to wait our turn to be transported in via smaller boats. Our first stop of the day was the 7 mile beach to just relax for a couple hours. After that Brian and I hit the shopping while Lindsay and Ricky went back to the boat. I found a pair of earrings that matched the ring I bought on our honeymoon in Costa Rica :) Other than that we just window shopped. Grand Cayman was so nice and clean compared to Cozumel. Plus, tons of nice shops everywhere you looked. Brian and I decided we could definitely visit this place again.
.jpg) |
| On the ferry |
.jpg) |
| Soo yum!! yes, it is still moo-ing |
Jamaica was next on the itenerary! Brian and I ventured out into Jamaica on our own as Lindsay and Rick had seen this port before. It was pretty much built by Royal Carribean so very safe and very commercialized. We visited all the shops and picked up some staples: Jamaican coffee and rum (for cooking of course!)
.jpg) |
| Tall Jamaican man offered to take our picture |
.jpg) |
And then he made me do this awkard pose with him....
And I loved this shirt until these pictures made me look
like I had more than a cruise food baby... |
.jpg) |
| Jamaica port from our ship |
.jpg) |
| These cuties at Johnny Rocketts! |
.jpg) |
| Also, not a great picture in my used to be favorite hog tank :( |
.jpg) |
| On to dinner! |
.jpg) |
| Girls shot! All three of us :) |
Regrettably, I got sick after dinner this night so I spent the next day in bed. Slept in til 2:30 pm and only went out for a bit to take some pictures of the boys rock climbing. Back to bed after that. Good news is, I got to watch lots and lots of movies and by throwing up on a cruise, you don't gain weight! Looking at the positives here :)
Good thing it was just a 24 hour flu bug so the next day I got to join everyone lounging by the pool. And since I missed the last formal night, Brian and I dressed up a bit for dinner this night instead. My mother-in-law had bought me a lovely Ralph Lauren "cruise" dress and I was not missing this opportunity to wear it :)
By Saturday, Brian and I were both about ready to come home.. Ok I mostly missed Bear! Seven nights is just a long time to be gone from work, life, family, your cell phone.... We spent the day lounging by the pool and enjoyed the farewell show and jazz singers that night. Then we got packed up to disembark on Sunday morning. Overall, it was such a lovely trip, and we will definitely be cruising again!
 |
| Farewell Sound of Music dining room |
 |
| Hello Houston and Dunkin Donuts before our flight home!! |
No comments :
Post a Comment
Thanks for reading! Feel free to leave me a note :)