Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Shrimp & Guacamole Tostadas

So remember when I said I was going to try to get back into cooking starting with this recipe?  Well I its only take me about a week, but I did it! 

Shrimp & Guacamole Tostadas

Ingredients:
  • corn tortillas (I used white corn)
  • cooking spray
  • 2 cups shredded cheese (Mexican style)
  • 2 tbsp. olive oil
  • 1 lb. shrimp, peeled & deveined
  • 1 tbsp. ground cumin
  • 2 tbsp. chili powder
  • 1 tsp red pepper flakes
  • 1 tsp garlic salt
  • 1 red bell pepper, sliced & diced
  • 1 lime
  • avocados & whatever else you want in your guacamole (or pre-made guacamole)
Directions:
  1. Toss the shrimp in the cumin, chili powder, red pepper flakes and garlic salt
  2. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  Lightly coat 4 tortillas with cooking spray and bake for about 5 minutes on each side.
  3. Top each tortilla with 1/2 cup cheese and broil for about a minute or two.  Watch them closely so they don't burn! Remove and let cool after the cheese has melted
  4. In a sauce pan, heat the olive oil.  Once hot, add the shrimp and sear on each side.
  5. Remove the shrimp from pan and place the chopped bell pepper in the pan to cook.  Scrape off the shrimp seasoning remains and sauté with the bell peppers
  6. Make guacamole however you prefer.  I used two avocados, Greek yogurt, minced onions, lime juice, and some garlic salt for my concoction.
  7. Top each tostada with a dollop of guacamole, shrimp, and bell peppers.  Then squeeze some fresh lime juice on top to complete the recipe!

Voila! You are done! 

While this recipe took a while to make, it was delicious!  I wouldn't recommend eating it around strangers though since it is slightly messy to eat :)  My husband would also want me to tone down the spiciness next time so if you are not a huge fan of spice, cut the amount of chili powder and red pepper flakes down a bit.





2 comments :

  1. Aww, man Kara! I am SO hungry and these look SO good. Want to come over and make me some? :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! Feel free to leave me a note :)