Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Jamaican Rum Cake

I've mentioned before that I make the birthday treats for my coworker's parties at work, and the latest request was for a rum cake.  Since I bought some pretty stout rum in Jamaica on our cruise in January, I was excited to try this.  I've never made a rum cake before but my mother in law makes a fabulous rum cake!  I used her recipe, but modified it a bit.


Ingredients

  • 1 bag chopped pecans
  • 1 yellow box cake mix
  • 1 large instant vanilla pudding mix
  • 4 eggs
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1/2 cup oil
  • 1/2 cup rum
  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1/4 cup rum

Directions:

  1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees and grease a 10" Bundt pan.  Sprinkle some of the pecans on the bottom of the pan.  Save some to fill up the well in the middle of the cake later.
  2. Combine cake mix and pudding mix in a large bowl.  Mix in eggs, 1/2 cup water, 1/2 cup oil, 1/2 cup rum.  Pour batter into pan and bake for 55 minutes.
  3. Let cake cool 10 minutes in pan before moving to a serving plate.  Brush the glaze all over the cake until it absorbs and is well coated.
  4. Mix the rest of the pecans into the leftover glaze.  Make sure the pecans are well-coated and fill up the well in the cake with them.

Glaze Directions:

  1. In a sauce pan combine butter, 1/4 cup water, and a cup of sugar.  Bring to a boil over medium heat and boil for 5 minutes. 
  2. Remove from heat and stir in a 1/4 cup rum (or more if you prefer)

1 comment :

  1. Kara - that looks incredible. If I had some rum on hand, I might have to try this. Unfortunately I had rum once in college and it made me mean, so never again. :) How sweet of you to make treats for your coworkers!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! Feel free to leave me a note :)